Thursday, October 31, 2013

happy halloween!

It definitely warmed up here in Ann Arbor for Halloween, but of course, the weather couldn't give us too much of a break.  It's been raining since last evening with no end in immediate sight.  I'm hoping that we'll luck out and only have a slow drizzle for a brief lap up and down our street this evening.

The first year we celebrated Halloween in Ann Arbor, squirrels pretty much decimated our pumpkin before the trick-or-treaters even arrived at our front porch.  Last year I added a fantastic metal pumpkin made from reclaimed sheets of steel, cut, shaped, and riveted into a large jack-o-lantern to the porch display anticipating the same fate for our carved pumpkin.  

This year we waited until the last weekend available to buy a pumpkin and we kept it inside until we carved it on Monday night.  And again the squirrels dined on our jack-o-lantern, eating an eyeball and a few teeth.  But, as luck would have it, I chose to decorate a pumpkin this year that would be cool enough to keep inside.   A few weeks ago, Ella and I hit up the dollar store for some crafting inspiration. One of the items I picked up  was a package of small black rubber bands, you know the kind that are used for braided hair.  Paired with nails and arranged in a repeating pattern, I think they create a pretty cool result.  I've decided to attempt a really great, non-traditional pumpkin every year to keep a little bit of the Halloween spirit inside.


Oh, and I just have to share with you Ella's costume - my little Rosie the Riveter!  Hopefully I'll be able to get a better photo later today!


Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...