Tuesday, May 7, 2013

ella's quilt



While my mother was here last week, I unearthed the quilt I started for Ella over a year ago to show her my progress (or lack thereof).  Bringing it out was all the motivation I needed to begin working on it again.  When Ella woke from her nap on the day I pulled the quilt out, my mother gladly walked with her to the playground so that I could keep sewing.  I now have about two-thirds of the front of the quilt pieced together.  I plan to do a partially pieced back, perhaps with some custom embroidery, and want to do a very graphic binding (maybe a grey and white stripe fabric).

I had originally intended this quilt to be a gift for Ella on her first birthday, but now, with her second quickly approaching (and our impending relocation), maybe a more fitting opportunity will be to gift this quilt to her when she transitions into a big girl bed.  I love the idea of celebrating milestones and transitions in her life with gifts that are lovingly made just for the occasion. 

2 comments:

  1. It will be a wonderful gift when she transitions to a big bed. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love everything about this quilt: the colors, the rectangles that show off your fabric, everything! As always, I pretty much want to be you when I grow up :). Are you taking your sewing machine with you this summer? I think it will be worth the effort of dragging it along: without house projects to do, it will make you feel at home to have your sewing to work on.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...