Tuesday, April 1, 2014

bathroom adjustments

The bathroom is mostly complete.  The contractor packed up his tools on Friday and won't return until the linen closet door is finished and ready for installation.  So while I wait to take the official AFTER photos, I thought I'd give you a sneak peak into the space and some of the adjustments we made during construction.  If you're curious where we started, you can check out the original lookbook here.


We used a marble mosaic from The Tile Shop on the floor instead of the black and white ceramic mosaic originally planned.  And because of this, I don't think I need to add the Aztec Diamond bath rug.  We'll continue to use our basic white bath rugs that won't compete with the loveliness of the floor.

I painted the walls Heaven by Benjamin Moore, matched in Valspar Ultra.  It's probably a bit too lavender for my husband's tastes, but I think it suits the pops of citrine on the shower curtain and stool well.
I ordered the Miley scones shown in the original lookbook for the room but didn't end up using them.  The Miley sconce is an up light, where the shade sits on top of the fixture and directs the light up.  My initial design provided for a sconce where the shade hung down from the fixture, or a down light. The mounting height for the down light was 6'-3", higher than where I would have located an up light sconce.  When I picked the Miley sconce, I never revised my elevation drawing to show a new mounting height and so when I returned from vacation and the electrical rough was already done, I realized that I needed to find a down light fixture to use instead.  I ended up with the Moen Iso Vanity Light in chrome.  They are larger than the original sconces I selected and so help to fill the space flanking the mirror better.  And they worked with the rough height I originally specified in my drawing.

I also eliminated one row of wall tile to bring the overall height of the wainscot down.  The bathroom doesn't have the highest of ceilings and I didn't want to make them feel even lower by taking the tile too high.  The final wainscot height ended up being about 42" above the finished floor.  Instead of being capped by a two-inch high bullnose tile, I used the full size bullnose tile available in the same line as the wall field tile, Daltile's Lillis White with a matte finish.

 
I also decided to use bathroom fixtures that were more minimal in appearance than those I had originally proposed.  The shower trim, tub spout, and sink faucet are all from the Amalfi line by Danze in polished chrome.  You'll also notice that we went with a large medicine cabinet, the largest single door cabinet we could find, in lieu of a round mirror.  We decided that the additional storage a medicine cabinet would provide in a house with such limited storage space would be more attractive to buyers.  This Nutone Simplicity cabinet is gigantic!  Both Ted and I can stand and use the mirror at the same time without fighting each other and the extra deep design accommodates products that we used to have to keep elsewhere.

I couldn't be happier with how the space is functioning for us so far.  I've been pleased that even when our 80-lb dog, Henry, wanders in while I'm giving Ella a bath, I still feel like we all have space to move around.  Heck, it might actually be one of the only rooms in the house he can sprawl out on the floor and not be in the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...