Wednesday, July 3, 2013

livin' with it: a red sofa

Do you have a piece of furniture that just doesn't seem to fit your tastes anymore but you can't get rid of it because you can't afford to replace it or its just not the right time to be adding more furniture to your collection?

For me, this piece would be my sofa - a red, microfiber sectional I purchased just out of college for my first apartment.  At the time, it was the most expensive thing I'd ever bought, and to this day, I'm happy that I handed over my credit card because, after thirteen years of use and too many moves to count, it's still as comfortable as the day it was delivered.  Sure, it's faded a bit and there are a few bare spots in the fabric from being jammed through doorways and up narrow stairwells, but it's structure is still in tact.

The only problem, red is NOT the color I'd want for my sofa anymore and I wish I had some tufting in my life.  Both of these issues could be easily solved if I were to have the piece reupholstered but that is also not an option right now.  What's a gal to do?

I've been scouring the web for ideas on how to make my red sofa fit into a space I'm excited about.  And here's what I've found . . .

source
This was the first image I came across when searching for images with red sofa's that I actually liked AND that seemed practical.  When you have a kid and your living room doubles as a playroom, this image makes you feel like creating a relaxing room that can pull double duty is actually possible.  White walls seem like the way to go to help the red sofa pop.

source 1 / source 2
Ok, I mostly just like the stack of books on the radiator in the first image.  The blue walls are fine, but I feel like it might be too much color for me.  The second image feels much more collected. The eclectic mix of vintage furniture pieces is definitely interesting - so much so that the red sofa really blends in rather than becoming the focal point.  The room feels fun but comfy.

source
The pale grey walls in this room are a great, not-too-bright backdrop to the red sofa.  The open coffee table ensures that the space around the sofa feels light and open.  Everything else is low and white, allowing the sofa to be the focal point.  

source 1 / source 2
Both of these spaces have a lot of architectural character.  I suppose our living room has some of this - if you want to call old, beat-up wood trim and a gigantic, brick fireplace surround with a wood-burning insert character.  In my opinion, the trim could stand for a good coat of white paint and the fireplace would fit in better if it weren't so dominant in the space, but I suppose these images are good examples of just going with it.  I like the lightness of the first image, even though the exposed ceiling structure keeps the space feeling pretty cozy.  And the rug in the second image . . . well, there just are no words. I want it!  And the Eames Lounge Chair, and the table with the hairpin legs, and the Pantone coffee mugs . . . 

As we get ready to head back to Ann Arbor in a few weeks, I can't help but think about some minor tweaking I could do to make our living space feel a bit more like these images I love.  Adding a pillow cover or two, and maybe some curtains, certainly won't break the bank.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...