Tuesday, March 5, 2013

this (long) weekend: New Orleans! {part 1}

This post is a few days late but certainly (at least I hope) NOT a few dollars short!  I put in lots of Adobe time for this one folks!












































This weekend we traveled to New Orleans, a first for everyone in the family, to visit a good friend of my husband's, and his girlfriend. The trip did not disappoint! Thanks to our wonderful hosts, we were able to experience the great food, drinks, and sites of character-rich New Orleans.  And because I have so much to share, I'll post the details over several days.  First up: Friday!

It was a cool 45 degrees, but being the sun starved northerners we are, we thought it would be great to spend it outside, walking the almost 3 miles to the Audubon Zoo. In retrospect, we probably should have taken the bus. I have never seen sidewalks in worse condition than those in New Orleans! Between the ancient oaks and poor maintenance, we had a challenge getting the stroller up and over all of the cracks and seismic steps! Ella's first visit to a zoo was fantastic and ended with her first carousel ride (on a panda of course). 

We headed north to Lakeview to Susan Spicer's Mondo New Orleans for dinner; a great neighborhood restaurant with amazing food and a family friendly atmosphere. We started with a huge selection of appetizers: steamed pork buns with sesame snow pea slaw, chicken lover pate with creole mustard and crostini, and a duck pizza with eggs over easy (trust me, it was delicious). Is your mouth watering yet? I enjoyed an order of steamed mussels and chorizo in a garlic sherry broth for my main course. I was so consumed with my own meal that I can't even tell you what my husband ordered!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...