Monday, February 3, 2014

this weekend: the little things


I spent this weekend trying to lighten my load, of both things in our house and tasks on my to-do list. I finished up all of the painting in the kitchen, you know the tiny spaces between cabinets and window frames that often get overlooked.  I also sanded and oiled the shelves over the sink and painted in between them.  Everything is finally starting to feel complete and that is a great feeling.

I also purged about two trash bags worth of clothing and shoes from my closet.  I was able to move my sweaters back into my closet from their most recent home under our bed, as well as a lot of my shoes which have been living in our coat closet.  Making space for the things I use and love is also a pretty great feeling.

And, though I accomplished a good bit this weekend, I still felt a bit mopey on Sunday afternoon.  I'm the type of person that always wants to do more (and has a lot more to do), and so the small dents in my to-do list often fail to fulfill me.  And you know what?  That's just a shame.

I celebrate Ella's accomplishments, no matter how seemingly small, every day.  Whether its getting dressed all by herself, eating without making a mess, or building a tall tower . . . I celebrate her.  I celebrate my husband when he braids Ella's hair (well), bowls a good game, or gets a great grade in class.  They aren't balloons-and-cake type celebrations, but we do hug, high five, and I try to express to them that I am one proud mama and wife.

I should give myself the same credit, for working on making dents in my to-do list when I can and as best I can, for not sitting idly by and wishing for things to just, poof, be done for me, and for pressing forward no matter what frustrations or setbacks I might encounter.  I should be proud of myself too.  And, as it turns out, the research agrees.  Celebrating the small accomplishments is critical for maintaining motivation and feeling good about oneself.  So, if you don't mind, I'm going to go give myself a pat on the back (maybe a few M&M's) and get back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...