Thursday, January 30, 2014

dining room table + chairs

In the new rental house, with all the open space, I finally have a space for a grown up dining room table and chairs. I already have a table that's the perfect size for the space (not too big, not too small) that I acquired from Craigslist several years ago. The seller was moving out of state and originally posted it for $50. When I showed up to her house she ended up just giving it to me for FREE! It was one of her last items to go and several people had already come and gone without purchasing the table. Afraid I would do the same (since, in her words, it had a bunch of gum stuck to the bottom) she just needed to get rid of it and gave it to me and even helped me load into my truck. What luck!



At my old house I just didn't have room for a dining room set up with a table of this size. Instead, I used it as a desk in my office for awhile, and then it moved into the back room as a laundry folding table. I'm so glad I hung on to the table for the day I would actually have the space for it, but being an old farm-type wood table (with indeed a bunch of gum stuck all over the bottom) it needs some TLC, and I want to now refinish the top and paint the legs either a bright color (for a neutral room) or now I'm thinking I will paint them white since it will live against the yellow walls in this new house.
What has consumed me most over the last few weeks, seeing the table sit lonely in the dining area, is the subject of chairs. I've paged through many different sites, looking for chairs to pair with this big old table. At first I thought I wanted a mix of different modern type chairs or maybe a set up with a long bench on the one side. I especially love the juxtaposition of the older wood table and modern chairs below.

source
source
I tend to waver over these decisions for quite awhile (the Libra in me) so I haven't made a purchase yet. In my search so far I have fallen in love with the Tolix cafe chairs. Designed by the French company Tolix in the 1930's, they’re still handcrafted in France. I've found several versions of the chair out there and different styles even. The only thing I am sure of is I love them in either white or steel.


source
source
source

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...