Friday, June 14, 2013

toys we love: B. Stackadoos

Trying to pick toys for Ella that will hold her attention longer than a few seconds is something of a science . . . at least it feels like one sometimes.  There's nothing more disappointing than buying her something I think is pretty cool and she'd enjoy, getting it home, and discovering that she would rather play with my dish towels.  Of course I know she is a toddler and that this is just how it goes sometimes - I mean, it is fantastic that she can amuse herself with dish towels.  But I'd still like to improve the success rate of picking that perfect toy, especially when it comes time for me to prepare dinner and I need those dish towels.

So I thought I'd share one of the toys that have been a hit with Ella and I with all of you!

I discovered the B. brand of toys at Target when Ella was probably six months.  I was browsing the aisles and dreaming of the days when we might play with Lego's together when I noticed an amazing instrument set with a drum, various shakers, and a tambourine.  We had just started going to music classes once a week and I thought it might be nice to have some similar instruments at home for Ella to use.  That first purchase has kept me going back to B. for new toys as Ella grows.  


Believe it or not, I still have some bristle block toys from when I was young that my mother saved for her grandchildren.  Ella recently started playing with them more regularly and so, because the number of pieces that survived my childhood is paltry, I thought adding some more to her collection might be a good idea.  The blocks are easy for her to stack and stay together no matter how precariously assembled they seem to be.  They come in a handy plastic jar with a handled lid for easy cleanup and storage.  I particularly like the colors - not primary but close enough to our standard red, green and blue for us to work on her colors as we play.

My only warning: if you have a dog who sheds constantly, you may end up with some pesky hairs in between the bristles of the blocks.  Yes, I am that Mom . . .



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...